EFFECTS OF VIRUSES
How a particular virus infects a computer depends on what it has been programmed to do. Accordingly, a virus can cause any of the following anomalies:
In the last update, we have discussed “Software and Its parts”. If you didn’t check updates on my site so, please visit the link below:-
Today’s topic is “Effects of Viruses”. Before starting of this topic we must know about the last content that is –
– What is Software and types?
– In detail Software type description.
– About Language Processors.
- Delete files like .doc, .xls and Operating system files, i.e., .sys, .dll, .com files, etc.
- Make the computer or network show by residing in the computer’s memory and occupying vital disc space.
- Cause the computer to become unrespo9nsive or freeze and thus not accept the user’s commands from the keyboard or mouse.
- Increase the booting time by attaching to the boot sector, i.e., the location where the startup system files are located on eh hard disc. Thus, whenever a system is booted, the virus automatically loads with system files in RAM.
- Display irrelevant, strange messages and characters on the screen. For example, it shows that your computer is stopped or the message is dropping.
- Make some of the program unoperational.
- Change the size of the files, system date and time, and reduce memory. Corrupt the keyboard working by remapping the keys to perform functions other than normal.
- Change the name of files.
- Mark hard disc sectors as bad resulting in loss of data and storage space.
Viruses can’t infect and corrupt files on write-protected discs as viruses don’t get the chance to write and attach their program code to the files. Viruses can only infect software and not hardware. For example, a virus can’t blow up your monitor. They can only damage computer files and not chips and wires.